Thursday, April 8, 2010

Endurance

It dawned on me during my last swim why some people never do endurance sports.  It seems to me that the first part of each activity is always hard no matter how much you train.  The first 300 yards of a swim , the first 10 minutes of a run, the first few miles on the bike always seem hard no matter how much I train.  I would guess it is our body getting acclimated to the activity; muscles stretching, blood flowing, hearts pumping.  With all this said, my guess is most people don't realize that it does get easier.... once our body gets into it's rhythm.  Our mind realizes what we are doing and tells our body we will survive the pain (mind over matter).   It never fails that once I can get my mind and body to relax I get in the zone and time goes by whether I'm running, biking or swimming.  I'm not saying it's not hard, but my mind somehow tunes out the pain and I can keep going.  So my advice to anyone that has a desire to do an endurance sport is "keep on going"....the journey is worth all the effort that you put in your training.  Your mind and body are stronger than you can imagine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment